We get stuck in a rut when it comes to avocados. Don’t get us wrong, we have no problem using them up...but it’s always the same. Guacamole, mashed on toast with lime and salt, cubed in our garden salad – rinse and repeat. How boring!
|via Flickr by Jaanus Silla|
And just in case you haven’t jumped on the avocado train quite yet, there are so many health benefits of including this slightly bizarre fruit in your regular menu. For example:
- Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fat. They are quite high in monounsaturated fat, which actually helps in reducing bad cholesterol. This also helps to lower the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Avocados are packed with protein. An average avocado contains approximately 4 grams of protein, which is much more than other fruits.
- Avocados are low in sugar. When you combine this with their high fat content which slows down digestion, they can actually help to stabilize your blood sugar.
- Avocados are also an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. In fact, they pack more potassium per weight than a banana and contain almost half of the daily minimum recommended fibre intake.
Looking to shake up our regular avocado routine up, we’ve rounded up five anything-but-ordinary ways to use avocados, so without further ado...
|Photo by Gimme Some Oven.|
Gimme Some Oven: Brain Power Smoothie Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
Avocados are a really great addition to smoothies. Some people might turn up their nose at the thought, but you really can’t beat the creamy, smooth texture that comes from an avocado. And the flavour is so mild that it is often masked by the other ingredients, so you don’t even taste it!
Click here for the recipe.
Pinch of Yum: Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Miso Dressing
· This salad is absolutely delicious. Buttery, garlic-y, slightly spicy shrimp? Check. Creamy smooth avocado? Check. Super greens? Check.
While this salad takes a little bit of stove-top prep-time, it is absolutely worth it. Really, this salad is utter perfection as a side for dinner or a light lunch...or both (it’s that good!).
|Photo by Pinch of Yum.|
Savor Home: Avocado Hummus Dip with Crispy Sea Salt Pita Chips
|Photo by Savor Home.|
You probably thought that you’d find a guacamole recipe in this post, but we like thinking outside-the-box so you get hummus instead!
A quick look at the ingredient list tells us that this isn’t your standard hummus recipe either (no tahini or chickpeas), but it sure does sound exciting. A little spicy and oh so smooth, this hummus sounds like a perfect addition to our snacking arsenal.
Fuss Free Cooking: Smoked Salmon Avocado and Rocket Arugula Salad
Fuss Free Cooking, you had us at smoked salmon. How gorgeous and fresh does this salad look? This salad only has a few ingredients and looks pretty simple to whip up for a quick lunch or dinner. We love that the dressing combines the classic avocado flavour partners - lime and salt! Yummmm.
|Photo by Fuss Free Cooking.|
The Smoothie Lover: Avocado Brownies
Wait...avocado brownies?! Didn’t think it was possible, did you? As mentioned, avocados have such a mild flavour that they can be snuck into foods that you would never think to hide them in! The Smoothie Lover’s recipe is perhaps the healthiest brownie ever. No flour, no white sugar – only delicious goodness.
|Photo by The Smoothie Lover.|
Click here for the recipe.